I have an obsession with all things pumpkin. I may or may not have been first in line when Starbucks told us they released their pumpkin spice latte early. #PSL!!
Pumpkin=fall and fall means trip to the pumpkin patch, boots and cozy sweaters. As well as, adorable pics of kids in fuzzy pumpkin outfits.
What I bet you didn’t realize is that pumpkin has a lot of great health benefits! Awesome right?
Quick facts about pumpkins:
1. Almost all the parts of the pumpkin are edible.
2. Pumpkin is low in calories. I guess what I should say that pumpkin puree is low in calories. Wouldn’t it be great if pumpkin pie was low in calories?
3. Pumpkin also has tons of anti-oxidants in it. As well as, vitamins A, C and E. We all need more vitamin C about the time school starts. All those germy kids…including my own.
4. Pumpkins have a large amounts of potassium. Which can aid in muscle recovery after working out.
I have created a post workout pumpkin shake that make you want to work out just so you can guzzle it down.
Healthy Pumpkin Pie Shake
1/3 c. pumpkin puree
pumpkin pie spices- I have the pumpkin pie spice that is already mixed together. Start with a teaspoon and then add more if you need more flavor.
1/2 c. milk-I bet if you used almond milk as substitute it would be even more delicious!
1/4 c. oats. I use the quick cooking kind. This makes it milk shake thick.
Last but not least- applesauce. I use applesauce when I don’t want to add sugar or fake sweetener. If you need to add a little splenda, I won’t judge. It’s ok to do every once in a while but I would avoid making it a habit. Applesauce comes in all different flavors and sugar free as well. I just happened to make my own applesauce the other day and used some pumpkin pie spices in it. When I added it to my post workout shake, it was pumpkin heaven.
Don’t have applesauce? Try some honey.
Throw it all in the blender with as much ice as you want and BOOM! Pumpkin pie shake!!!
Just FYI- if you are looking for a product that’s a little more intense for a post workout shake. Advocare has a great performance elite line. Stop by and check it out!
- Skinny Pumpkin Spice Brownies (apple-of-my-eye.com)